Dealing with Departure

Hopefully many of you know that I am going to be leaving soon to go to a new school. I'm leaving Calgary to go to Montreal. This is going to be the first time that I will actually be moving out.

And as I'm sure everyone does, I feel as though I need to somehow deal with leaving this place. At first I thought that this would take the form of some type of going away party.

But I never planned one, and no one is going to plan one for me. I realized that this is perfectly fine since most of the people I would invite, I already haven't seen for about 4 months.

So I sort of felt like I was going to be missing something by not having an organized going away bash. But thankfully the natural flow of things has worked things out and I now realize how I say goodbye.

How I depart is actually very closely related to how I arrive. I find that whenever I arrive somewhere new, and especial when I am nervous, I end up scoping out the area. For example I will walk around the entire perimeter of the building or weave my way through all of a buildings hallways. I find it very relaxing to get the lay of the land before having to actually start doing anything.

And what I have finally figured out is that I do the same type of thing when I leave. I seem to always take a quick tour of the building or campus. I just walk through and look at everything with no particular intent.

And what has happened over the last week is that I actually seem find have taken the tour of Calgary for the last time. I've always been a very mobile person in the city. I also feel very comfortable just walking around and taking the train.

I've been almost everywhere that I feel a very strong connection to.

Only seems like I have moments left before I venture into an unknown place. Surely I will once again wander around to again get the place embedded into my mind.

Kyler

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey ky,

I hope you are starting to settle into your new place in Montreal. I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of your dorm room and campus and hearing about your first couple of days.

-Robyn